Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Retirement Researcher Endorses Qualified Longevity Annuity Contracts

In his recent article in Advisors Perspectives, Why Advisors Should Use Deferred Income Annuities, Dr. Michael Finke touts the benefits of including Qualified Longevity Annuity Contracts (QLACs) in a retirement portfolio.  Dr. Finke is a Professor and Director, Retirement Planning and Living at Texas Tech University. 

I agree with the points made by Dr. Finke, as his article is very similar to my post on the pluses and minuses of QLACs on July 12, 2015.  Readers who want to dive deeper into QLACs can also revisit my posts of May 28, 2015, April 26, 2015, February 25, 2015, July 31, 2014 and July 26, 2014 for further discussion. 

As I have indicated many times in this blog, The Actuarial Approach is probably one of the only strategic withdrawal approaches that easily and properly coordinates withdrawals from investments with benefits payable from a QLAC. 

Year end is coming soon.  Next month I will be re-visiting my recommended assumptions for developing 2016 spending budgets. 

Let me take this opportunity to wish all my readers a happy and safe Thanksgiving.